Ever since I came back from Sri Lanka, I have been asked by a lot of people to give them my itinerary. So, I decided this is the best way to give it out!
I was in Sri Lanka for 10 nights, 11 days. Flew from Delhi to Colombo, then had a bus which took all of us around (we were a group of 12 people ) and we flew back from Colombo on Sri Lankan airlines. If you have around 10 days for this trip, read the plan below which will include most touristy sites and places. I will also give an idea for how to shorten the trip if required.
10 Nights 11 Days Round Tour from Delhi – Colombo – Kandy (2 nights) – Nuwara Eliya (2 nights) – Yala/Tissa (1 night) – Ahungalla/Bentota (3 nights) – Colombo (2 nights) – Delhi
Reach Colombo in the morning and drive straight to Kandy. On the way you can take a quick look at the famous Elephant orphanage at Pinnawala and also have lunch nearby there.
- You get to Kandy by evening and stay there for 2 Nights! Hotel Recco – Tree of Life. Take a look at my room tour there.
While in Kandy you have a couple of tourist attractions, which everyone goes to while they are there –
Botanical Garden – pretty place for a lot of pictures and if you interested in plants – you will have a blast.
Kandy City Tour / Kandy View Point – a quick tour and peek at the city and all its attractions.
Kandy Temple of Tooth – The famous temple which has the Buddha tooth.
Royal Palace – name says it all 🙂
You can also go sight-seeing for just one day and enjoy the property the next day to relax as well as be touristy! Next up, drive down to Nuwara (drive time approx 3- 4 hours – also depends on the number of stops you take)
2. Stay for 2 Nights at Nuwara Eliya, while you are there you got to check these places out –
Ramboda Falls – a lot of falls around this place, see me being my drama-best –
Water Falls at – Lover Leap / Devon / Mohini – take note it takes almost an hour hike to get to this fall, so go there prepared.
Working Tea Factory and Tea Plantation – there are a number of tea plantations on the way – I saw Blue Fields and was very happy with the service and staff there. Even Virat Kohli visited the same one 😛
Nuwara Eliya City Tour – this is the prettiest place out of your whole trip, take the boat ride, check out the lake.
Bhakta Hanuman Temple / Sita Amman Temple / Gayathri Temple / Ashok Vatika – as per stories, the place where Sita ji was kept in confinement.
3. Visit Ella Rock / Ravana Falls while you leave for Yala from Nuwara. Its a 4.5 hour drive so you can break it down. This is the most scenic drive of your trip too! Then stay 1 Night at Yala/ Tissa.
Again hotel recco – Hotel Ekho Safari (prettiest place ever, see the room with a view)
Considering you are there for only 1 night, you can do the –
Jeep Safari at Yala National Park or River rafting / Zip Lining as per your choice. This is a National park, so be adventurous.
4. From here you again have a long drive to Bentota! You can see the Hummanaya Blow hole (wait for the high tide – if you really want to experience this phenomenon) on the way. Please note this is going to be the southern most tip of Sri Lanka (so its super hot even in December!)
Bentota is a fun place – staying there in a huge property for 3 days would be a total highlight of the trip. Also there is lots to do, so here a list for things to do in Bentota –
Hotel Recco – RIU Sri Lanka Hotel, Ahungalla (all inclusive, huge hotel with a club, activities, shows, gym, anything and everything :D)
Turtle conservation project
Rumassala Sanctuary / Ussangoda National Park
River boat safari
Natural Moon Stone Mine
Galle Fort / Light House
Whale/ Dolphin watching
Hikkaduwa / Unawatuna Beach Visit
Snorkeling / Scuba diving
5. Next up, driving to the final destination – Colombo (majorly to fly back and also take a look at the capital of Sri Lanka). Colombo is a typical city and in all honesty I was ok to not do too much there. 2 days are more than enough to shop and look around. Here are some things which you can plan –
Colombo City Tour
National / Dutch Museum
Ministry of Crab
Shopping Tour – House of Fashion / Odel / Lakmadura
If you don’t have so many days, here’s how you can do a shorter version of this trip –
7 Nights 8 Days Round Tour from Delhi – Colombo – Kandy (2 nights) – Nuwara Eliya (2 nights) – Ahungalla/Bentota (2 nights) – Colombo (1 nights) – Delhi
I cut Yala out totally, reduced 1 night each at Colombo and Bentota – also good enough to see all important sites and get a feel of the place. This whole plan is actually thanks to my Uncle who organised our whole trip – I cannot thank him enough and take his credit 😛 . Its all his hardwork! But do let me know if you want to know anything else about Sri Lanka 😀